I have been living out in "the country" for almost five years now and I have had my run-in with the wildlife: mice, raccoons, possums, fox's, deer and birds are just to name a few. Thank goodness mice are the only animal that I've had to deal with IN my house, knock on wood.
When we first moved to 'the country' EVERYONE thought we were nuts. (Everyone still thinks that we're nuts) I can't tell you how many times I hear "You'll have to watch out for deer on those roads...blah...blah...blah." Believe me when I say we've had our share of deer sightings. That is actually how I keep the boys entertained on our drives to/from town.
This morning my look-outs fell asleep on duty. Well, I can't blame them it was really early...I'd probably go back to sleep too if someone dragged me out of bed at 5:30am. It was really foggy this morning and I was driving on a road that had fields on both sides of the road and then --whoosh! About 10 yards ahead, I see a white tail of a dear run out in front of the van. I was only going 30mph so it was easy to slow down. It safely crossed in front of us. In my past experiences I have found that when there's one deer, there usually is another. Then, next I looked out my passenger side window and I made eye contact with another deer...and BAM THUMP THUMP!!! The deer ran full throttle and slammed into the sliding door right outside Quintin's window. I pulled into the nearest neighborhood and was followed by a truck to make sure we were okay. I got out to assess the damage. All I can say is - as much crap as I talk about my POS Dodge. It kept us safe this morning. I'm happy to report that as far as I can tell there's no damage to the Dodge. The deer only wiped a huge amount of the black smut off the side of the van. The gentleman asked "Did that deer just slam into you? Are you guys okay? How's your van?" I let him know that we were okay and so was the Dodge.
We did drive back by the scene of impact to make sure the deer wasn't lying in the road. I really wasn't going that fast, I was hoping that everything was okay. The deer wasn't there! I was soo relieved! I break for all animals...well...except Possum's they creep me out.
No comments:
Post a Comment